Monday, June 19, 2017

The Underachieving Gifted Child - Chapters 4 & 5

Chapter 4 - Dweck's Mindsets

As I read through Chapter 4, I highlighted quite a few things, but kept coming back to growth mindset and feedback.  We've talked extensively about the importance of both of these over the past year.  

It was especially interesting to read about the Mindset Theory.  I really hadn't thought about how Growth Mindset applied to the gifted child and how they recognize their own effort and ability.  I found this so valuable..."She noted that students who see their intelligence as something that can be developed, rather than simply a fixed trait, are more motivated to learn, persevere more in the face of obstacles, are more resilient after setbacks, and ultimately achieve more."  When I read this, I thought about the many GT kids I've had in my own classroom who saw their intelligence as a "fixed trait". To be honest, these kids frustrated me because I knew what they were capable of.  I wonder if I helped them develop their abilities to where they felt they could attempt something that challenged them.

Renzulli's belief that, "Giftedness is something students do, not something they are," stuck out to me. As the mama of one identified gifted child and two who are gifted, but not identified (because aren't ALL of our kids gifted?! ;-)) I think I like this belief.  As parents, we've made sure that our gifted child doesn't find her identity in her giftedness.  She has to put effort into her abilities to develop them, and I'm thankful that she has a growth mindset and WANTS to develop them.  

Feedback is another area that I'm constantly trying to improve in.  The way that feedback and self-efficacy intertwine is vital.  What we say to our students can help them grow or hinder them.  Helping them develop a belief that they CAN do something, even when it's challenging, is so important, especially to those underachieving students.  

Chapter 5 - Addressing Issues of Perfectionism

This chapter hit home.  The very first sentence made me giggle because it was like the author was talking directly to me and my daughter.  Maybe I got a little teary.  Maybe.  ;-)

"People who have a compulsive need to be in control of themselves, others, and life's risks."  

What??!!  I am that person.  My gifted daughter is that person.  We are both self-oriented perfectionists.  We put high demands on ourselves.  For the most part, our perfectionism isn't unhealthy, but as I read through the common behaviors of perfectionists, I giggled again.  

At some point in my life, I've experienced all of these behaviors.  I've seen them in my daughter.  I've seen them in a few of my students.  It's what we do with these behaviors that makes our perfectionism healthy or unhealthy.  When dealing with my or my daughter's perfectionism, some of the solutions suggested were familiar.  

My daughter LOVES reading and writing.  Her challenge, although she's always done just fine, has always been math.  It bothers her immensely that it doesn't come as easy to her as language arts does. Her perfectionism makes this even more difficult.  We've really had to work with her on the belief that she CAN do the challenging tasks set before her.  The thing that has helped her most is her creative outlet.  She loves acting and has grown in love with Theater.  It's not something she has to win or lose at, she can just use her talents.  Her confidence has grown this year in math.  I give huge credit to her teacher who let her ask questions, encouraged her, had real conversations with her, and built her confidence.  My perfectionist girl learned that it was OK that everything wasn't perfect for her in math this year, but that she was successful.  

This chapter will be one I will revisit...for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS